Monday, September 01, 2008

LONG WEEK- updated

I can't believe that I haven't blogged in a week. I went for several days not turning on my computer because I wanted to spend time with my daughter. I am grateful for today's technology because it makes it possible to stay in contact. It isn't the same as hugging her, but it is enough. Here is a photo that she took from the plane


Doesn't look much like a tourist destination does it? Looks to me like a good place to drill for oil. :)
Before you gasp in horror.. I thought it best to let her paint her room the way she wanted. It has been this way for several years. Here are some of the paint samples I am thinking of. I have ruled out the first 2 from the left because they are too dark. I'm thinking more of the third one, the bottom one, and the two on top. The two to the right.. one is too light and I don't think I want to go with lavender, although it did appeal to me at first. I'm looking for a warmer color, but I don't really want to go with a complete neutral. I hope that the mauve wing chair I bought looks okay with what I chose.. if it doesn't I will throw a quilt over it that does go with the paint.
I am going to so enjoy sewing in this room. I am waiting to hear when the Army will be here to collect all of her things.

I, of course, have had all weekend to do laundry, and it is almost 6:30 on the day before I need to go back to work, and I am just now starting it. This type of behavior recently got me in to trouble with someone I counted as a good friend, unfortunately for me, she wouldn't tolerate my recent fall into disorganization.

I am, for the most part, pretty reliable. But one of my biggest problems is volunteering for too many things, because I want to help. It always seems like a good idea when I raise my hand. Then again, there are so few willing volunteers in some of the organizations I belong to, I feel bad that no one else speaks up, and before I know it my hand is in the air. Then with working and everything else I get in to, I find myself falling behind. I am also not good at throwing things together. A project that I think will take a short time, usually drags on because I want to do my best, and then it takes longer than I expect.

I wasn't always this way, but age is catching up with me I guess. And getting up at 5 am everyday and going to a very stressful job along with some chronic health problems are starting to take their toll. By the time I get home from work, I am sometimes too tired to get the energy up to do anything but sit with my feet up and knit.

I have to learn to think before I raise my hand, no matter how much I want to help. I just have so many things to do, I flip between them all day and try to get a little of each done. It is hard for me to devote a big block of time to one activity, and I find myself getting behind. Oh well, I do the best I can, I have been under a lot of stress the past several months with a wedding and my daughter leaving, but it is getting around to normal again. As soon as I inventory everything (a new dictate from Alaska) that the Army will ship to my daughter, I will be a free woman. She can't seem to get straight what needs to be done. I hope that they don't call and say "We'll be here in 3 hours to pick everything up..".

In the meantime, I am totally caught up with all of my obligations. The only on going thing will be the monthly guild newsletter. I will enjoy that because it isn't hard to do, I'm working my own flexible deadline, since I am playing on the computer all of the time anyway, it seems like the perfect activity that will help my guild. And maybe I will finally get the time to work on the quilt I want to compete with next year, I have put it on the back burner a lot longer than I had intended. Other than that, I think I will be sitting on my hands for a while.

I am making a second swallowtail shawl. It is made with a navy merio wool.. I will get it and my camera in the same room tomorrow and will share it with you.. Have a good week!

1 comment:

Robin said...

I like the lighter colors and those that won't reflect colored light onto the fabrics you quilt with- good luck picking a color