Wednesday, July 22, 2009

KNITTING NEWS

I am working on this TWEED BABY BLANKET in the hope of getting it done BEFORE the birth of a baby. It is a really easy knit. All garter stitch (knit all rows) for the center with a fan and feather stitch on the border. It is knitted on the bias starting in the corner, increasing until I get to the right size, and then decreasing down to one stitch to make a square. I saw someone who made a triangular shawl using the same method. it was really pretty, and probably would be a nice warm shawl. When I finish this, I may get some more yarn and knit a good size shawl. It would be a great travel project, as I wouldn't need any sort of pattern, and I wouldn't have to think about what I am doing until I got to the border.
I used KNITPICKS CITY TWEED for this. It was recommended by the designer. I had a hard time deciding if I should make a blanket for an actual baby that wasn't made out of a machine washable wool/alpaca/Donnegal Tweed blend. But the colors were so unusual, and not a normal pastel baby color, that I decided to go for it, and it is really pretty. It only took a day to get as far as I did in the photo. I couldn't find any long size eight ADDI TURBO CIRCULAR NEEDLES locally, so I had to use these bamboo needles. Ugh! Not only are they blunt tipped, and to get the cable to relax you have to dip it in boiling water, and the connection of the needle and the cable means you have to push a few stitches at a time over the little uneven connection to knit a row. Thank goodness for YARN AND FIBER COMPANY who not only had the correct size, they got them in the mail to me on the day I called them. I have ordered from them a couple of times, and they have been great with their customer service.

That's it so far for today.. now that I have figured out how to put a video on my blog, I might think of something to do with that. Pretty lame to take a video to figure out how to tie a nice bow isn't it? Let me tell you, it sure isn't as easy for me as tying a shoe.. I need a tutorial. I have it on my phone so I can take it along with me on Saturday. It is cold and rainy here today. I hope it clears up. Makes me think back to when my daughter told me she wouldn't need the shawl I was knitting because it would be the "end of July".. Well, I have a scratchy shawl out of Shetland Wool that she can use, but that's about it.. She will also have a colorful quilt to wrap around her bare shoulders.. And she will "have her love to keep her warm".. ;)

No comments: