Saturday, October 10, 2009

CHURN DASH

I think I have mentioned my first quilt. It was a Churn Dash, white with lavender contrast.. just like this one, only not blue. My friend gave me this un-quilted antique top. She knew about my first quilt and my love of 2 color quilts. It has sat in a drawer like most other unfinished projects. I decided to get it out to see if it was in good enough shape to quilt. Overall, it is pretty good. It is about 80 x 84 and hand pieced. Some of the white fabric is starting to rip. It is pretty fragile. I thought of putting something under the small tears, but the fabric will still continue to come apart. I thought of buying new fabric to put in between the pieced blocks. Even with white, it is hard to match. So, what I think I will do instead is take it apart, and re-set the blocks using only the blocks that are in good shape. This will result in a smaller quilt,which is fine with me. I have gotten used to working on small quilts, and I don't even want to think about quilting something big. Just looking at it I can see that the piecer made the blocks fit, and they look a little puckered. Taking it apart will give me the chance to square up the blocks.
Hopefully, with my help, the original quilter's project will be done.

My guild had a speaker that took old quilt tops and finished them by combining new fabrics and machine quilting. She observed that if the original piecer had liked what she made she would have finished it herself, so don't worry about machine quilting an antique top.

I know one thing for sure, whenever I kick off, someone is going to find a lot of unfinished quilt tops or blocks.. I didn't finish them because I was bored with them. I hope the new finisher doesn't get any other romantic notions about it.
I guess that you will be stuck with the cell phone version photo of my shawl. It is done. I haven't blocked it because I wanted to use my blocking wires, but I can't find them anywhere. The color doesn't look right, but it is called "Death by Chocolate". It is a rich deep brown variegated sock weight yarn.

I bought a couple of books today. A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris, and The Murder of King Tut by James Patterson. I feel like I am cocooning for the winter. It is pretty chilly here. And I just want to get warm and read. Can you believe that Thanksgiving is next month?

3 comments:

Lisa at Sun Naturals said...

Hi Teri,

I have a couple of antique tops I'm not sure what to do with. I was feeling like I didn't want to ruin them.... but your post has a great point. If the original quilter had liked it she would have finished it. Besides, they're mine now right? I will have to dig them out and post pics on my blog.

I enjoy your posts, so don't kick off too soon, but you can send your tops my way if you want :-)

I love the shawl. Knitting is something I just can't seem to get good at. I can crochet like the wind however when I'm in the mood!

Have a great day,
Lisa :-)

Meg said...

I love the shawl. Its gorgeous!!!

dee said...

The churn dash was the first pattern I tried and it came out really nice but I was foolish then and gave so many pieces away thinking that when I made a quilt it had to be for someone.
For better or worse I got over that and one of my two best quilt buddies will inherit(they are a bit younger)my UFO bin. I've already told them to keep what they like and finish what they want...should anything happen to me...come to think of it they've been watching me a lot closer since we had that conversation...hmmmm

That scarf is very beautiful and I've seen that chocolate colo-it's lovely