Tuesday, December 22, 2009

CHRISTMAS PAST


Aluminum Christmas tree with revolving light.  When I was a kid, I always wanted my parents to get a tree like this one.  They were traditionalists, because we always had a real tree.. Scotch Pine only.  On the other hand, my husband's grandparents obviously were modern thinkers, because we found a revolving lamp like this in the attic.

I don't remember if I ever got a Chatty Cathy.  I never was much for playing with dolls, and I was probably too freaked out by the Twilight Zone's "Talking Tina" episode to ever ask for a talking doll.


Lincoln Logs and Tinker toys were my idea of Christmas fun.


I still have the Brownie camera on my bookshelf.  Remember those hot flashbulbs?  I thought it was so cool when they finally made those flashbulb strips that you flipped around.  That eliminated having to change a bulb after every use.
On Sunday (?) night, Ed Sullivan had Topo Gigio on his show


He was always one of my favorites.  I also always loved the Christmas themed issues of Saturday Evening Post.  The cover was usually graced with a painting by Norman Rockwell.  And contained ads featuring Santa promoting smoking

Remember McCalls magazine with Betsy McCall?

The girl always had it made.

I didn't even put up a tree.  I have a Hallmark tree loaded with miniature ornaments.  They just don't make the sets of mini ornaments like they used to, so it is a good thing that I bought them way back when.  I found this site.  VINTAGE GOODNESS  in case you would like to realize how old you really are.  I saw things flipping through this blog that I have owned.  Most have gone in the garbage.  If I had many things pictured on the blog, I would look at them as old and dated, and toss them. 

Have a good day from a vintage blogger

4 comments:

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Ha, my parents had one of those silver trees with the light because I was allergic to the real thing. I hated that tree!

PEQ said...

ah lincoln logs and tinker toys! now THAT's the stuff that leads to a creative mind! :)

Rian said...

I remember every single one of those items. I was big into dolls but I don't think I had a Chatty Cathy. But I had a Cootie game.

Robin said...

I loved most of the same things as a kid - I never had a doll- we had toys for me and my brothers and we shared them all. Thanks for the memories- merry Christmas