Friday, August 06, 2010

BOOKS VS E- READER

You wouldn't have to read my blog for long to understand that I love new techno gadgets. I just HAD to have a RED Sony Reader . I loaded it with some favorite books, most of them were free books, and I could use it for library loans.  But the charm wore off for me after a while.  It was a neat little gadget, but I am a die-hard book lover. Batteries don't run down in a book.

With a reader, you can throw the equivalent of a hundred pounds worth of books in your purse.
But if the book that you are reading is a before bed book, chances are the battery will be low some night and you are out of luck.
And I guess I am one of those old fashioned people where books are concerned.  Electronic versions of new books cost less, but I like to actually have a physical object if I spend the money.

One of my favorite things to do during my free time is to wander around a bookstore and check out the books.   I really like to look at a book first before I purchase them. Especially when it comes to quilting or knitting books.

Maybe it's just me, but I love being able take a look at all the books I've read on my bookshelf at home. I don't know what it is; seeing them all lined up on the shelves is such a comforting feeling for me. Not only does looking at my collection of books brighten up my mood, but you know when you're reading that 500 page book and you're on page 490? Seeing all those pages you've read just makes me feel so rewarded that I'm almost finished. Plus, don't you just love cracking open a new book?

I got to thinking about this when I was listening to the radio and they talked about this subject. They talked about how Borders has been having financial problems, and how Barnes and Noble have been put up for sale.  It's sad.  I love going to Borders.  And I love going to the library.  I love the feel and the smell of a book.

I was just wondering how any of you feel about this?  My daughter is an avid reader, and I loaned her my Sony Reader.  She always buys paperbacks so that she can carry them in her purse, I thought that she may get more use out of the reader than I do.

By the way, I actually finished that quilt and it is winging it's way to Alaska to my other daughter.  A UFO out the door. 

Stay tuned.  I'm working on the studio this rainy weekend!!

1 comment:

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

I just got a Nook and I like it. I hear ya about the battery though. I have not paid for a book on mine yet and I don't have to store the actual book in my house. I like that. I do like to hold a book and every book that I read won't be on the Nook so I am OK with it. Glad you got the quilt done and on its way.