Saturday, August 13, 2005

Word Quilt and Textile Show

I went to the World Quilt and Textile Show in Columbus yesterday. I really liked it. The show was unlike any of the other bigger shows that I've gone to this year. Quilts from all over the world were displayed according to country of origin. There were a lot of innovative design quilts which I love to look at. Jane Hall had a display called "Logging On" which had many different log cabin type quilts, new and antique. Next to the New York Beauty, I like log cabin variations best. One of the great things about this show was that you could get right up and look at the quilts. There were no barriers to them unless they were so long they touched the floor. Then they put a barrier by that quilt so that it wouldn't get stepped on. It was also unusually slow.

I went on a Friday, which I supposed made a difference, but, it was weird to say the least. The vendors were standing around looking lonely. I can't say I helped much in that department, I didn't really spend much. I bought Frieda Anderson's new book. A little pair of tweezers with tiny sharp points, a packet of Angelina Fiber. The only thing I spent a larger amount on was something that I have been thinking about and researching since I saw them in Paducah.
A Tutto case to tote my sewing machine to workshops etc. This is the case folded up for storage. I was drawn to the bright lime green, but decided to go with the purple. I like purple, and I thought that I might get tired of lime green after a while. This is a great case. There are so many things I like about it. If you get a chance to look at one, do it. As I said I saw them displayed in Paducah. Knowing I am attracted to bright colors, I DIDN'T purchase it in April because I have been known to buy things I don't need just because it is a bright color. Since I am turning over a new leaf in that regard, I am glad that I waited, because now I don't have buyer's remorse.
My favorite thing about going to shows in Columbus, is the North Market which is a block away from the convention center. If you take your life in your hands trying to cross the street, you are in for a treat. There are tons of vendors selling food of all types, Italian, Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese. There is gormet candy, baked goods, produce.
The first time I met Melody Johnson, was in June at the NQA show. I only recognized her because I read her blog. She was being a conscientious dieter and was buying an apple at this produce stand. I was picking up some fruit also, because I was cheap, and didn't want to buy restaurant food in Columbus. I could take fruit back to my room at the Red Roof Inn.
Yesterday was different. I was only there for the day. I went to the Italian Food stand and got Stromboli. It was so GOOD. I'm glad I don't know of anyone around here that makes it.


They take thin dough and put 3 different types of cheese, salami, pepperoni, ham, fold it, bake it, and cut it into strips. Then they give you this wonderful tomato sauce to dip it in. They put Parmesan on top of the sauce. It was greasy and really good.
Anyway, I had a great time. Took TONS of pictures, I will be able to look back on, I have many thoughts about the techniques that I saw used, and will comment some other time about them.
Now, on this humid, stormy looking Saturday, I am going to clean my house, yuck, and try to finish piecing my pineapple mini.. Have a good weekend

1 comment:

Rian said...

Love the purple tote~ and the stromboli looks good, too.