Saturday, September 16, 2006

New Projects

Yesterday was my mini group. I needed something easy to work on, so I grabbed a box off of my shelf that contains a kit I bought many years ago. The color strips of the fabric were pre cut to 2 1/2". I never looked at any of this kit, I had to cut the pieces for the background fabric.

I get to my group, thinking I will jump in and start making this easy block, and the pattern was poorly written, and wrong. The HST's in the block were supposed to be 2 1/2" finished. Kind of hard to make these with 2 1/2" strips. So I needed to reduce the size of each piece. The block that was supposed to finish at 12" will finish at 8" instead. Not a big deal, but I sometimes wonder if pattern designers give their pattern to a tester to see if it will come out the way it is supposed to. Or to see if it can be pieced easily. My friend Marcia Hohn has pattern testers for patterns that are FREE. I used to test them for her. Oh well, good thing that I had that experience under my belt for this project!

This is a photo of the Mariner's compass that I am working on. It was a 64 point until I added the 3" compass in the center where a plain round piece was supposed to be. I am having a great time making this. It is a challenge, and exciting to work on. I can see many more compasses in my future!

1 comment:

Rian said...

Oh brave soul. Actually, I know the Mariner's Compass is a fun thing to accomplish and I have no doubt you are up to it. But it's fun to be called a Brave Soul anyway.