Monday, May 28, 2007

MONDAY HOLIDAYS



It was a beautiful day here in Ohio. It was sunny and not too hot. We cooked ribs and chicken on the grill.


I actually got some sewing done yesterday and finally figured out what to do with all of those little fabric sample squares that I have accumulated over the years.



I wanted a little bag to carry my small knitting projects in. This one turned out a little bigger than I had planned, but it was a good practice piece. Each of the blocks is a little less than 3"

This is the inside looking through the bottom. I used some of the other squares from the collection to make pockets to hold scissors, stitch markers, counters, and whatever else I might need. Normally, I would put a bottom in before I did everything else. I don't want an unfinished seam inside of the bag, but, I wanted the bottom to be oval, and I didn't have a clue how to make a pattern for it. I did think of some ways to do it, but in the meantime, I came across a wooden plaque at Walmart. I eyeballed it for size and it turns out to be perfect. So I will use that as a template for the actual bottom. My friend Gail and I were discussing how quilters can measure without the need of a ruler. It is an amazing feat isn't it? Anyway, I am going to put a large piping on the edge of the bottom and use peltex to stiffen the bottom so it will hold it's shape. I have some smaller fabric samples that I am going to try another smaller version. It is fun to have something made out of an entire line of fabric. The only problem is, finding fabric in my stash that will match it enough for larger pieces like the lining and the bottom. I even made the handle by sewing 3 blocks together, folding them over some wool batt and quilting it all down in several places to make the handle stiff.
I don't have a picture right now, but I decided to knit "no show" socks with all of my summer weight yarn. I couldn't find a pattern that gave me what I wanted, so I actually made up my own pattern. That's saying a lot since I haven't been knitting socks for very long. I wanted the top to roll and the rest is just normal. I plan to wear them with sandals and look like a complete dork.. and I don't care.
I hope that you all had a great holiday. I don't know about you, but having Monday off is going to totally screw up my entire week. I have been thinking all day that it is Sunday.

1 comment:

Rian said...

Sweet lil bag, Teri!

I think BBQ ribs (and chicken) are just about as indigenous to Memorial Day as turkey is to Thanksgiving, dontcha think?