Sunday, March 01, 2009

ANOTHER NEW PROJECT

When I got a new satellite radio, I made a little cover to put it in when I took it out of the cradle in the car. As time went by I quit taking the radio out, so the cover sat in my car. When I got my new phone, I bought an acrylic cover for it to protect the screen. Then one day I came across the cover for the radio, and my cell fit in it. Ever since my daughter saw it (she has the same phone) she wanted me to make one for her. Last night when I asked her limber self to crawl behind my pressing table to get fabric that I knocked off in the corner. When she got back up she had a handful of scraps of the Knitmare fabric that I had left over from my knitting bag. She said that is the fabric that she wanted. The pieces were not very big, but there was enough to make two.
Meg wanted the pink one, with the skeleton print on the inside, I wanted the opposite.

I will show you how to do it, and give you the measurements, but you will have to adjust the idea to the size to fit whatever you are making it for.
You need to cut these pieces each out of lining and outer fabric
two - 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" (front and back)
two - 1 1/2 x 3 1/2" ( sides)
one - 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 " ( bottom
one - 1 1/2" x 4" (tab)
Then you need the batting. Cut
two - 3 1/2 x 5 ( front and back . Note this is supposed to be 1/2" shorter)
two - 1 1/2" x 3" (sides 1/2" shorter.)
one - 1 1/2" x 3 1/2 " (bottom)
For tab cut one from each fabric, 1 1/2 x 4" . Sew on 3 sides, turn right sides out and sew velcro on the closed end.
I chose to sew a button on the right side for decoration. My daughter preferred that the skull print show.
put the batting to the wrong side of the outside fabric. Adjust so the top 1/2" of the panel is free of batting.
fold the top 1/2" over on the front panel, and sew the velcro 1" below the fold.
With right sides together, sew the bottom panel and front and back panels together.
Sew a 1/4 " seam, and sew each side seam (4) down to the 1/4" seam for the bottom panel (stop when you get to this seam)
pinch the side and the bottom panel together and pin. It will look like this.
Then sew across with a 1/4" seam.
When you finish with the outside part, it should look like this
When you make the lining, it should look like this.
Mark lightly on the inside of your tab 2 1/2" from the finished end
Position that marked line at the the top of the folds. This is the most difficult part. Put the lining inside the outside shell wrong sides together and pin the top. Sew as close to the folds as you can. About 1/8".

That's it. Not hard at all. I'm sure that someone can come up with an easier version. I tried the sewing on 3 sides and boxing the bottom, but it just didn't look as nice, so I did it this way instead. I hope someone out there finds this useful. When I get some time, maybe I will make diferent versions..

4 comments:

Debra said...

I bet your daughter was thrilled!

Jules said...

You are the best mom. I hope when my kids get older, I have a good relationship with them as adults, too. You are amazing that way. (and other ways, too.)

Rian said...

That is the cutest thing! I love the pink button and the skull fabric!

I came looking for a link to your political blog but couldn't find it. I'm so overwhelmed by all that is going on!! This is beyond belief....

Soo said...

I love the fabrics -- and so beautifully made as well.

I dug my sewing machine out on the weekend -- no idea what I intend to do with it but the sewing urge seems to be hovering.......