Wednesday, November 25, 2009

HOLIDAYS

ORIGIN OF AMERICA'S THANKSGIVING

This link has a good explanation of the reason that we celebrate Thanksgiving.  The word Holiday, is derived from the word Holy Day.  And even though you should thank God every day for his blessings,Thanksgiving is the quintessential American holiday  that is set aside so we remember to count our blessings and thank God for what we have. Outside of Canada, we are the only country in the world that sets aside a day to thank God for our blessings..  

I have so many reasons to be thankful.  I have a roof over my head, a job, 3 healthy children and I have gained an additional 2 sons through marriage.  And although we can't all be together for the holiday, I know that they have food to eat, and friends to share the day, and I know that they will be okay. And although I miss the hugs, I am thankful that I can talk to them any time I want.   I'm thankful for the advances in technology, and I'm thankful that it was possible because of Capitalism and the free-market system.  Without the prospect of some company making a profit, this computer I am typing on, would not be here, and I wouldn't be able to easily keep in touch with my children and my friends that are so far away.  Because of this capitalistic technology, my daughter can talk to her husband who is halfway across the world.

I hope that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  We have had hard times before, and we as Americans have always been able to find the good in others.  That is one of the things that makes the people of this country great.  So, go around your table at dinner and have everyone say what they are grateful for.  Even if you don't believe in God, you should be able to say what you are grateful for as an American, because even with our faults, anyone that lives here should be grateful for the blessings of our country.

God Bless the people of America

P.S.  the new blogger has a spell check, it is just different. When you misspell the word quintessential , the word is underlined.  When you right click on the word, you get correct spellings to choose from.  Gee something else to be grateful for..

1 comment:

Meg said...

Im thankful for my family, my hubby and for technology also. Id go cazy not being able to communicate with my family. Love you