Tuesday, April 12, 2011

THINGS I LEARNED TODAY

Who is John Gault?  I never got around to reading "Atlas Shrugged".  I started it a few times, but it started slow, and I just couldn't get interested.  The first part of the movie is coming out on Friday.  I have heard so many people reference the book in the last few years that I downloaded the audio from the library and decided to listen to it.  It was still slow starting, but after I got past a certain part I was astounded at how much it parallels what is going on today.  Before I left work today I heard this speech.  I will give you a link to the entire thing to.
"Money is the barometer of a society's virtue. When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion – when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing – when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors – when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you – when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice – you may know that your society is doomed. Money is so noble a medium that it does not compete with guns and it does not make terms with brutality. It will not permit a country to survive as half-property, half-loot.       "Whenever destroyers appear among men, they start by destroying money, for money is men's protection and the base of a moral existence. Destroyers seize gold and leave to its owners a counterfeit pile of paper."
 FRANCISCOS MONEY SPEECH 
As I read this book, I doubt that I would have ever understood it in my youth as I understand it now.  I'm glad that I finally got to know this book.

I learned something else today, although I am pretty sure that somewhere in my memory I have known it all along.   Today is the anniversary of the start of the American Civil War, or the War of Rebellion.
Abraham Lincoln has long been credited by historians for saying "A house divided against itself can not stand".  In truth, he was quoting another man, Jesus Christ, Matthew 12:25 
"And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:"

So, it was nice to get excited about a book again.  With over 1000 pages to go, I can't wait to see what happens.

1 comment:

Rian said...

Ayn Rand was a true visionary. I never read the book either but there is a 3-part movie coming out so I guess I'll catch that.

I miss GB already. I learned so much from him.