Sunday, June 12, 2011

A REMINDER OF WHAT I'VE SEEN

My husband and I went to see SUPER 8 yesterday. It was set in 1979.  This movie brought back so many memories of how far we have come technology-wise in my lifetime.  I have tried to keep up, and I am excited about every new thing.  I could spend hours browsing and playing in Best Buy. 
Some of the things new and exciting to the people in this movie were;
A guy in a convenience store was jammin with his walkman. An older guy came in and disparaged "walking around with stereos" and how it would be our doom.. paraphrased.
Super eight hand held camera
And of course, the projector so that you can see your images movies
 In the movie, the kids took their film to a camera store to have it developed.  Even with a 'rush' it would take 3 days to get it back.  How different than today.

I was thinking that the reason that I have kept up with ever-evolving technology is because of my son, but I think that he just gives me the extra spark that I need to keep searching.
As I think back, I think I have always had that spark of fascination with new tech advances.  I have a super 8 film, projector, and camera stashed away in the attic.  I had a walkman.. then the cd walkman, now the ipod.. etc. 

Now, all I have to do to take a super 8 movie, is download the super 8 app to my phone,
shoot the movie
and I can view it in an instant.  And let me tell you, I appreciate it.  I look at other people my age who have a hard time figuring out how to open an email, or find a website.  I just don't understand how they could have allowed themselves to get so lost.

I marvel that I can sit and fold clothes and watch movies on my little iPad.   I recently got
I knew about it, but I wasn't sure what it was.  My son has one (of course) so I played with it.  I had him put it on the TV in my sewing room.  Now I can stream Netflix and content from my itunes onto my TV.  Really fun little device which brings me hours of entertainment. 

That being said.. the old guy's point of 'carrying a stereo' with you might forecast our doom, and in a round about way may be correct in the long run, but as far as I am concerned, I am going to kick back, and enjoy the ride down.


Teri

1 comment:

Rian said...

Totally off-topic, but who did you like in the debates tonight?