Tuesday, June 14, 2011


A couple of days ago, I gave in and went digital with a 'nook' reader.  I like it because it is small and the print is easy to read.  I can share books, and download from the library.  Although I have a more complicated pieced cover version that I am working on. (Updated on my miniature quilt blog) I whipped up a cover to use in the meantime.

I started off making a pattern by turning my nook upside down on a piece of paper and tracing around it.   for the back piece, I added 1/2" to each side, and I rounded the corners. I did the same for the front pattern piece, except I only added 1/4 " to the top edge, as I wanted it to be a little shorter than the back.

I used headliner foam, although you can use batting.  Doesn't matter.  I cut a lining and outer piece larger than I needed.. didn't measure, and channel quilted, using the edge of my open toe foot for spacing. I used nylon thread in the top and cotton thread that matched the lining in the bobbin.  After I was done quilting, I cut out the pattern pieces.
This is the back piece, but it is the same for the front. 
I cut bias strips at 2.5 inches wide so it would be double fold, and bound the top edges of both of the front and back pieces. In retrospect, I should have extended them a little further down.  But this happens when you don't plan ahead or measure. 
picture 236
picture 237
picture 238

When you pretty much fly by the seat of your pants when you make something, there is always a chance that it might not work. But the reader slipped right into it. There is no wiggle room, but I didn't have to force it at all to get the reader into the sleeve. So if you want to make your own, and you follow just the basic 1/4" seam rules, you won't have a problem.

I'd love to see your projects if you decide to make one.


No comments: