Saturday, October 29, 2011

KNITTED DISHCLOTHS

One year for Christmas, a friend gave me a knitted washcloth with a bar of handmade soap.  I knit, but it is nice to get a knitted gift because I know how much time it takes, and I don't have to make it myself!
I thought it might be nice to return the favor for someone this Christmas, so I got to work.  I knitted a couple that I plan to use as dishrags.  On one, I crocheted a loop in the corner to hang the cloth, the other one I didn't.  The large one was knitted on size 8 needles and is about 8x8" square and the small one was knitted on size 6 needles, and is much tighter and firm and about 6.5-7" square.  I am going to the middle with a size 7 needle for my gifts.
It is a really easy pattern, and it is knitted diagonally, like a traditional hap shawl.

Traditional knitted dishcloths
Worsted Weight cotton yarn.  I used Lilly Sugar and Cream and got two cloths out of a ball with some left over.
Size 7 needles
Cast on 4
Row 1 - K4
Row 2 - K2, yo, knit across
             Repeat this row until you have 44 stitches on your needle
Row 3 - K1, K2tog, yo K2tog  knit across
             repeat this row until you have 4 stitches on your needle then bind off. 

I'm thinking of trying a round of crochet picot around one to see how it looks.  If I figure it out, I will add it to this pattern. 

Another easy gift idea... coming soon rice bags..new and improved..

1 comment:

Jeni said...

I started a cloth and just about finish...thanks for the pattern