Tuesday, December 31, 2013

SLACKER AT THE END OF AN OLD YEAR

I was looking back through my posts and realize that I have only posted SIX times in 2012!!  This post makes seven.  Pretty pathetic from someone who used to be so prolific.  So what has changed?  I've pretty much given up sitting at the computer for long stretches of time reading political stuff, I seldom turn on the news anymore.  I just decided that I don't need a constant barrage of bad news.  And I decided that I would wait to blog when I felt I could do so without putting my total disappointment and cynicism out for the world to see.

Let's see, how do I sum up my year in one post?  I mostly can say that nothing exciting happens around here.  I got a new car.  A car with all wheel drive, and for the first time I realized that I wasn't scared to death driving on un -plowed roads on my way to work in the morning.  My son got married the whole first in last out applies.  He and I were always close and I miss him being around.

Did I set any goals?  Nope.  I probably won't meet them anyway.  But New Year is one of my favorite holidays because I always get a feeling that I am getting another chance to 'get it right'. 

I finished two full size quilts, and one miniature, and a lap quilt for a Christmas gift.  At the beginning of the year I hoped that I would finish my UFO's.  Mostly I re-evaluated what it is that I really want to make.  And I am going to make an effort to do so this year.  I did get some knitwear finished.  I can do that sitting in my chair with my feet up which is why I get more knitting done.  Plus, unlike quilting, it is easy to tote along and work on in the car.

As of tomorrow, a hospital that has been around more than 100 years will be no more.  This hospital has been so much a part of my life.  I was a volunteer there all through high school putting in more than 1000 hours. I had my son there.  And all-together will have worked there nearly 25 years.  It took one political party's control of congress for one session to make it so bad for healthcare that it was either sell out or close doors.  Yes.  I'm bitter.  I may be even more bitter if the new place decides they don't need us around anymore.

As far as my goals for the next year goes, I will play it by ear.  I have several (15) kits put together for quilts.  I had an idea for a red and white miniature display at a summer quilt show.. So I have to get started and make something.  Half a sleeve to go and my pullover sweater will be finished.  Other than this, I want to spend more time with my family and friends because they are all that counts in this life.

I wish for you and yours a very Happy New Year.  I hope that you have a roof over your head, food on your table, good health and lots of love!

Teri

No comments: