Thursday, July 21, 2005

Gingersnaps

I thought that I would write something that has nothing to do with quilting.. hmm.. how about cookies! These are really good. I got the recipe from a co-worker many years ago. They are soft, not hard like so many Gingersnaps are. We got into the discussion of Chai Lattes at work today, and I commented that Chai tastes like liquid gingersnaps.. well that helped me remember this recipe. It makes a lot of cookies, so, make it at your own peril. Beats celery sticks anyday.

Gingersnaps

Preheat oven to 350

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup crisco shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups flour
4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Make a cinnamon and sugar mixture and set aside

Cream together: shortening, butter, sugar, eggs, molasses
add: soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and salt
add: flour

Drop by teaspoonsfull in cinnamon and sugar mixture

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes

1 comment:

Rian said...

Mmmmm, yummm. I love gingersnaps and used to make them with bits of crystallized ginger. What a bite! Very Snappy! BTW, there are some commecial gingersnap cookies, if you are lucky enough to find them, that have a lemon filling. They are made by Carrs, the same people who make the crackers, and in the same-shaped package. O.M.G! Wonderful! No! Wonderful is not a good enough word for these exquisite cookies!
I was almost (repeat, almost) relieved that I can't find them at my local market. (I live way out in the country now.) Oh man, could you send some to me???