Saturday, June 14, 2008

SUMMER READS

Diana Gabaldon author of the Outlander series of books has a blog which is listed in my side bar. Her latest blog entry is called WHAT'S IN YOUR BEACH BAG?
So I was wondering, do you have any special summer reads this summer? Until I took up knitting again, I would always have a book with me. Now my books are by my bed, and I take them out to sit in the yard on a warm day. Right now I am reading
THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM KNITTING which is a book about knitting.. it is very small so I have put it in my purse. It has short stories, so I don't have to worry about getting involved with little time to read. PEOPLE OF THE BOOK is a very good book. It is the story about a real book called the Sarajevo Haggadah which is an illuminated book that is the story of the Jewish Passover and is read at Passover Sedar. It has fictional characters that try to discover the history of how the book managed to survive through the centuries.
I am also reading a book called
THE DOLLMAKER . Many years ago I saw the movie staring Jane Fonda. It is set during WWII, and is about a poor mountain woman and her children and how she struggles when her husband is put to work in a war factory in Detroit. She and her children are uprooted from their mountain home and have to live in the harshness of the city. It is also a very good story. I should just sit down and read one from cover to cover, but sometimes I just go with what interests me at the time.
So, what is your summer read this year?

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

"So, what is your summer read this year?"

heh, email, and your blog. ;o)

floribunda said...

Right now I'm reading Alison Weir's book on The Six Wives of Henry VIII. I had listened to Philippa Gregory's novel about Katherine of Aragon, and it seems that the reality was waaaay different than the fiction! Also listening to Rohinton Mistry's "A Fine Balance" on CD. And sneaking in a murder mystery here and there...