Saturday, October 08, 2011

PERFECT WEATHER

The weather is so perfect. Sunny, in the 70's.  Enjoying the day and my husband tells me "they" say this is going to be a very cold winter with tons of snow.  He told me a specifics, but I think that I must have blocked it out.  It was a crummy summer, so hot and humid that we spent most of it closed up in the house with the air on.  Now it is barreling towards winter again.  Lots of time to knit and quilt. 
Yesterday I went to a local quilt show.  It was an annual seminar they call Quilting with Machines.  It is only about a 40 minute drive from my house.  I packed my lunch, did a little shopping, looked at a few quilts, and met my friend for lunch.  She texted me just before I left to say she was bringing her lunch.  I had planned on going out somewhere, so I hurriedly packed something.  I have to say that it was the most perfect lunch I have had in a long time.  We had planned on sitting at tables that were set up outside, but since I had gone to my car to take my vendor goodies out when my friend arrived, I called her over.  I had backed my car up to a grassy, shaded bank.  I have an old wool crazy quilt in my car, and decided to spread it out on the grass and we ate our lunch and talked and I showed her what I had bought at the vendors.  I haven't had anything resembling a picnic in forever.  It was so pleasant. 
I saw a few quilting details at the show that I liked.
 I think this might have been a portion of a Shirley Stutz quilt.  I think I had a problem with the upload, because that white stripe shouldn't be there.  iPhone pic.  Didn't have my camera.  Anyway, I like the stripe quilting effect on the border, separated with feathers.  She put tiny ricrac in between.  I also liked the ric rac on the binding edge.  Who knew that I would actually like ric rac on a quilt?
I don't know who's quilt this is.. can't really give you details on the quilting, although I think it may have been one of those auto stitching long-arms.  I like the striped quilting on the borders.  I have done quilted stripes on several of my quilts, a full size Baltimore Album, and at least one miniature.  I just think that it is a classy look. Plus the fact that my feathers stink, and I don't have a fancy machine that will stitch them for me, stripes are easy to do and they look good. 
Right now, I am, or should be, working on my guild newsletter.  I'm online to find ideas for stashbusting.  I have had a continuing theme this year of stashbusting ideas.  On the other hand, my stash just keeps growing.
So I should get to it I guess.  I hope that you all have a great weekend!

Teri

No comments: